If a teen is experiencing more than four of the following warning signs, they could be at risk and an intervention should be considered before the problem gets worse.
- Has the teen ever been suspended, expelled, been truant, or had their grades drop?
- Is the teen verbally abusive?
- Does the teen struggle with basic family rules and expectations?
- Does the parent have difficulty getting the teen to do basic household chores and homework?
- Has the teen had problems with the law?
- Does the parent have to pick their words carefully when speaking to the teen, so as not to elicit a verbal attack or even rage from them?
- Is the teen in danger of dropping out of high school?
- Does the teen associate with a suspect peer group?
- Has the teen lost interest in former productive activities, sports, hobbies, or childhood friends?
- Has the teen ever displayed any evidence of suicide?
- Does the teen seem depressed / withdrawn?
- Does the teen ever display violent behavior?
- Is the teen sexually promiscuous?
- Has the teen’s appearance or personal hygiene changed?
- Is the teen deceitful and manipulative?
- Has the teen been caught stealing money or personal items from their family?
- Is the teen severely lacking in motivation?
- Does the teen sometimes lie regarding their activities?
- Does the teen display outbursts of temper?
- Does the teen lack self-worth and self-esteem?
- Does the teen defy established rules regardless of the consequences?
- When trying to deal with the teen, do the parents feel powerless?
- Does the teen have a problem with authority?
- Do the parents suspect the teen is experimenting with drugs or alcohol?
Larry Lawton received a personal message on his facebook. He doesn’t know the person personally, but she went through Larry’s class. It is why he does what he does and he wanted to share it with you. Larry is so proud of her. Please look at the comments section at the bottom. The former Lt. Governor of Florida Jeff Kottkamp hit the nail on the head with his comment.
Click on the link to read the facebook message – Facebook Testimonial and Comments – 8-15-13